– Don’t talk to cops. Period.
If police attempt to speak with you, ask “Am I being detained?” If they say no, walk away. If they say yes, ask “What is your reasonable and articulable suspicion for detaining me?”
– Be careful what you say around strangers – undercover cops are known to attend demonstrations.
– Leave events with a buddy or in a group. Make sure you & your friends get home safe.
– Consider wearing a mask, sunglasses and/or a hat if you want to hide your identity from police. You may also want to bring a change of clothes.
– If you are filming at an action please try to avoid taking footage that may incriminate yourself or others.
– If you have a smartphone, use the Signal app to encrypt your calls and texts so that they can’t be intercepted.
– Encrypt your phone storage with a strong passphrase, to prevent law enforcement from copying data from your phone if you are arrested. You may also be able to place a PIN lock on your SIM card.